Many players have relied on studying the patterns in a Baccarat game to determine when and how they can win. But looking for these patterns in Baccarat is akin to doing the same with a slot machine or roulette wheel – all are games of chance which simply do not rely on patterns.
Another mistake made by too many novice players is the belief that a previous play influences the next play. This never occurs in Baccarat. Much like flipping a coin where the chance is 50-50 for each toss, a Baccarat hand is just as likely to cause a player to win as cause them to lose.
Cards and Systems
Many casinos will supply their patrons with cards which can be used for noting a game’s history and assisting with the identification of game patterns. Many players take these cards very seriously. Unfortunately, what most players don’t realize is that they will not increase the odds of success or even assist with winning. Similarly, the internet is rife with Baccarat systems that can be purchased and downloaded. But again, because of Baccarat’s 50-50 nature, it’s probably wiser to keep your credit card in your pocket.
Winning at Baccarat
So how does one win at Baccarat? If this were Blackjack, card counting would most likely be the strategy topping the list. However, in Baccarat, counting cards will not give you an edge over the casino. There simply aren’t enough cards in play at any one time to allow for counting, and there are nowhere near the opportunities to give a player the advantage against the house. As well, Baccarat simply does not provide players with the luxury of altering bets mid-hand.
As with all casino games, the house always has an edge over the player. However, the edge is small – 1.24% for bets on player, and 1.06% for bets on banker. When compared with and using basic strategy for games like blackjack, slot machines and roulette, Baccarat offers a player much better odds for winning. In fact, the only other game with a better odds bet is craps at 0%.
Here are six quick strategies which can help you win at Baccarat:
- Don’t use systems. Baccarat is a game of chance with 50-50 odds of winning.
- Shop around for the casino that charges a commission on banker bets that’s lower than 5%. This will help to cut your costs.
- Money management is key. Chasing losses and spending beyond your means will cause you to lose money. Instead, organize your bankroll in advance and include cutoff points for profit and loss.
- Use the banker bet as often as possible. The banker bet has both the lowest house edge and the best odds.
- Choose that Baccarat game which uses the fewest number of decks.
- Bet on other players occasionally for variety, but never bet on the tie.
When you know how to play, Baccarat can be a very enjoyable, fun and easy game for seasoned and novice players alike. Good luck and happy gambling!